The Redmon compost bin system is a versatile solution to suburban composting and food waste disposal. Whether you have a big or small space to work with, the Redmon Green culture Compost Bin system is a great fit for any home, due to its portability and size. Using this unit is as easy as it can be, with an easy-to-operate lid for depositing waste and scraps, and a four bottom door configuration for compost removal.
This system is made from tough plastic resin, is designed to withstand the elements, and can be assembled in a few minutes. It can produce compost in as little as 60 days if turned occasionally.
In this article, we will look at the Redmon Green Culture 65 Gallon Compost Bin, review it, and consider whether it is a good buy for today’s gardeners.
Redmon Compost Bin System Product Review
The Redmon compost bin transforms your everyday food scraps and green trash into usable compost, full of the necessary minerals and nutrients needed to grow amazing produce.
The compost bin has an easy to open lid, grounding pegs (to increase stability), and four lower doors. It is made from sturdy, weatherproof plastic resin, and features ventilation holes to ensure proper composting.
The Redmon compost bin system has the following features:
- Easy-to-use spin handle for mixing. The hand spinning mechanism is gear driven, which means it is very easy to turn manually providing extra comfort to the user.
- Easy to open lid. The lid on this unit is very easy to open, and it clips back into place without much effort.
- Opening and closing the lid can be done with one hand, leaving the other hand free to tip the waste in.
- Great ventilation. The bin has ventilation holes all over, encouraging better composting.
- Rugged build. This composting system is made from tough plastic resin.
- Easy cleaning. As this compost bin is entirely made from plastic, every part of it can be rinsed with a garden hose with very little effort.
- 65-gallon capacity. You won’t be running out of room with this unit anytime soon.
- Easy to use. Due to its simple construction, the Redmon compost bin system is very simple to use, just lift the lid to deposit your compost material!
Dimensions and Specs
- Capacity: 65 gallons / 8.1 cubic feet
- Height: 30.75″
- Width: 26″
- Depth: 26″
- Weight: 15 lbs
- Origin: New Zealand
The Redmon compost bin system is a great way to start composting, with its easy assembly and simple design.
This compost bin can fit in with almost any suburban setting as it doesn’t take up much room. The Redmon compost bin is black in color so it doesn’t draw attention to itself either. Although it does not emit much odor, insects are attracted to the compost material so you might think about setting it up away from windows it doors.
It is not the prettiest item to be found in a garden, but it is functional and nondescript.
The Redmon compost bin system is one of the easiest composting solutions to set up and use on the market. The Green Culture’s simple but sturdy construction means minimal fuss all year round. It can be fastened to the ground with its grounding pegs in order to stop animals from tipping it over.
There are four access doors at ground level for convenient use and ventilation holes throughout to ensure proper composting.
That said, it is possible for critters and bugs to get in the Redmon, so be aware of that concern. If you prefer to avoid pests, you may want to consider a tumbling composter like the Lifetime 60058 Tumbling Composter.
This composter will produce compost in as little as 60 days, though there can be significant variation depending on source materials, temperature, etc. Turning the compost will increase the speed of processing.
Material and Build Quality
Due to its sturdy plastic resin construction, the Redmon compost bin system is weather resistant. This means that you won’t have to worry about parts of the bin rusting as you leave it outside. To stop animals from getting inside or tipping the unit over, this compost bin has a protective lid and also has pegs underneath which you can push into the ground.
However, these measures don’t completely prevent animals and bugs from getting inside.
Using this unit is a breeze! The lid is easy enough to operate with one hand, leaving your other hand free to deposit your compost material without having to set it down first.
There is very minimal assembly required with the Redmon compost bin system due to its basic but effective design. There really isn’t much to do but place the lid on, and you have the option to use the grounding pegs at the bottom of the bin if you choose to. We recommend using them.
Cleaning and Maintenance
The Redmon compost bin system is remarkably easy to clean. Due to the unit being made from plastic, users can remove the lid, open the doors and just use a garden hose to wash away any grime or dirt.
Tips for Better Composing
- Place this unit directly over the soil so that worms and microbes can get inside.
- For best results, break down larger items into smaller parts before adding the material.
- Be sure not to include waste that might have been sprayed with chemicals.
Types of Material to Compost
- Lawn waste
- Leaves and moss
- Waste from coffee machines
- Vegetables and fruits
- Gardening waste
- Sawdust (note: do not compost pressure treated wood)
- Kitchen scraps like old fruit and vegetables
- Animal droppings (except from dogs or cats)
The Bottom Line
The Redmon compost bin system is a solid addition to any garden tool set. It’s sturdy, easy to use and clean and doesn’t stick out aesthetically. It is extremely easy to assemble, and you’ll be composting in minutes.
That said, for a small amount more (and a good deal of assembly), buyers could move up to something like the Yimby Tumbler Composter, which offers dual chambers, greater capacity, and pest protection.
The Redmon Green Culture is a great starter compost system and is a good deal at its price point. It works well, and if you hate assembly, is highly recommended. If you don’t mind a little work, you may want to look at other options.
- Rugged, weather-resistant plastic resin
- 65 gallons 8.6 cubic feet
- Convenient lift-off lid for easy access
- Ventilation holes for proper composting
- 4 door access
Last update on 2019-08-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API